Jaffa Gate (1538)

.

.

.

.

Jaffa Gate lies at one end of Jaffa Road, which leads to Highway 1, which in turn leads to Tel Aviv-Jaffa. In ancient times, too, Jaffa Road led to the port of Jaffa. Jaffa Gate was inaugurated in 1538 by Suleiman the Magnificent. Its name in Arabic, Bab el-Khalil (Gate of the Friend), refers to Abraham.

.

.

.

Jaffa Gate, entrance for cars

Around the corner, cars enter the Old City through a wide gap in the wall. This passage was originally built in 1898 when Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany visited Jerusalem.  The ruling Ottoman Turks agreed to open up the entrance so that the German Emperor would not have to dismount from his carriage to enter the city.

Jaffa Gate sign

Advertisements